rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Africa 2014: need tips and travel suggestions

Africa 2014: need tips and travel suggestions

Quote: (04-30-2013 01:25 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

Quote: (04-30-2013 01:14 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Braai/BBQ
This is a very big deal in SA. Difficult to explain how ingrained it is in the local culture. Maybe the one thing that cuts across racial lines, for a start. Get yourself invited to one at somebody's house. But when there don't ever refer to it as a Barbecue. It would be like going to a pub in the UK and referring to it as a "bar". People will laugh at you (in a good natured way), correct you, and generally give you a hard time about it. Just call it a "Braai" and avoid the hassle. It's pronounced Bry (Exactly rhymes with Buy). Also, South Africans never braai hamburgers. That's what McDonalds is for. Lamb Chops, Sosaties (Kebabs), Boerewors (a local type of sausage), steak and even Chicken are all good. Just no hamburgers. Turning up with these would be a bad as saying you're a vegetarian and trying to sign everyone up for PETA. Oh, and since this is RooshV. Men make the fire and do the braaing, while drinking beer. Women make the side dishes like salads while gossiping about whatever they gossip about. Children, if present play games, swim in the pool and tear around the yard. But women never deal with the fire or meat and men never deal with the side dishes. There are no exceptions. Feminists definitely not suitable guests at a Braai.

And just like that a big piece of the puzzle falls into place...I always wondered why I was invited to a braai at a girls house, and then sent outside to start the fire and cook the meat, while the girls sat inside chatting and setting the table. Anyway, a great experience, don't miss it!

Glad it helped. They weren't being rude. It's just the way things are arranged.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how you found South Africa as an Israeli (guessing by your location). I've never been to Israel but based on Israeli's I've met travelling I've always thought that the SA and Israeli personality/mentality was quite similar.

Messages In This Thread