rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Would you start a career in US or Russia if you were a US JD with a Ru citizenship

Would you start a career in US or Russia if you were a US JD with a Ru citizenship

It's a weird situation I find myself in at this point in my life. Up until about age 20 I was a Russian kid with an American dream. I went to study in the US and got a Finance bachelor and also a JD law degree, spending almost 10 years to do that. But by the time I got to the end of my law degree I realized what a sex prison country I got myself into and now I just wish I had stayed and studied for a career in Russia instead.

So now I am at a crossroads: the Finance degree would probably be useful anywhere in the world, but it seems to me that my expensive US law degree that also cost me about 4 years of my life and opportunity cost of having been able to work in the meantime would not be of much use in Russia.

The PROS of starting a career in Russia at this time are:

free housing
Russian citizenship
Russian fluency
being in a culture I enjoy living in

The PROS of starting a career in the US to make money to move back to Russia or at least to make up the money spent on law school would be:

wasted 4 years of my life and almost $100K in law school tuition
could relatively quickly become an attorney in the US (higher status than the jobs I could get in Russia with just my Finance bachelor degree)
however, it would be like being in a sex prison for the entire time

What would you guys do in my shoes? Would you go tough it out working in the US if you had a US law degree or would you just say "f** the law degree" and start a finance career in Russia?

Messages In This Thread