rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Soma's Jakarta (Big Durian) Nightlife Guide

Soma's Jakarta (Big Durian) Nightlife Guide

Quote: (07-31-2013 04:07 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (07-31-2013 03:50 AM)Prosal Wrote:  

Quote: (07-31-2013 03:30 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Prosal, how old are you? Many of us are in our twenties and early thirties. I imagine you must be in your fourties or fifties?

I could imagine many expats live in Jakarta without being seriously wealthy. Not everyone needs to stay at the Hyatt to enjoy themselves, especially not those of us in our twenties.

It's funny how I've read many many times here that a guy qualifies himself as a "Millionaire" or as someone who earns "close to seven figures", without any comment from the other members, but as soon as I write that I like to spend my money on expensive goods or that I enjoy sometimes to treat myself in a luxurious place, someone jumps on me.

Once more, I gave this tip to Akula for his 10 days trip and because in Paris he stayed at the Hyatt. OK, next time I'll refrain from giving tips. I am 50 yo.

FYI, here is the entrance of the building in Tashkent where I rent my apartment:

Prosal, I don't think anyone was trying to give you a hard time in this thread.

I appreciate the tips about the higher end stuff. It is always better to get a wide range of options for everyone. Those that backpack can add in their favorite spots. Not everyone would be interested in them but some would.

Rio was hoping you would be really old so he could catch up to your bank account. heh

Yeah good tips Prosal thanks, much appreciated. One of the great things about this forum is you get high end and low end tips that you can balance out - so the reader can decide.

Re the money thing, well, I did stay at the Paris Hyatt but it was a business trip so work paid for it [Image: smile.gif] But I will admit I do tend to try to stay in relatively nice places wherever I go, let's call that the $150-300 per night hotel range when I'm on 3-4-5 day long weekend trips. However, that's bc I have a full time job now. So if it's a nice vacation I guess I tend to justify spending a little more (simply bc I get relatively little free time away from work, so when I do I feel like spending more for a nice place I can afford, guess that's the 'corporate mentality' a lot of us working stiffs have, but doesn't have to be like that for everyone fo sho).

Now, if I didn't have to work full time in an office environment, and had to be more thrifty and was living somewhere for a month or two or longer, I'm no longer looking at hotels I think, and Air B&B is something I'd use. That's what I did a few years ago between jobs in Kiev for 12 days (rented an apartment online for like $80/night) and in Brazil where I tried to stay at places for less than $100 a night. Now that I know what I know and that I can go even cheaper with Air B&B, I'd seek even less expensive places as long as they are in a central location.

One thing I"ve learned that I like about some Europeans and most Russians is that they are not afraid to spend a decent amount of money on nice things and to 'live for the moment.' Russians especially live much more day to day than what I grew up with in the US (with good reason, many have lost everything twice in the past 25 years). That can mean clothing, a nice hotel, or a nice vacation. I grew pretty tired of the 'kill yourself working for 30 years, save everything and then retire at 65" crap you get in the US -screw that. And oh by the way how well did that work out during the crash and in the future with the Fed debasing the USD by printing ad infinitum?

Anyway, back to the thread, I'm def going to hit up Jakarta on my hopefully soon Asian trip, but it sounds a bit more expensive that I thought.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

Messages In This Thread