rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Oil Sands: Becoming an MWD

Oil Sands: Becoming an MWD

I got on as an MWD hand with a Texas/Louisiana based directional company; maybe they're a lower paying companies because the pay gets nowhere near 6 figures in 6 months:

Trainee $2000/mo base salary; $85/day rate
Night hand $2100/mo base salary; $110/day rate
Breakout $2400/mo base salary; $175/day rate $75/day gamma $75/day EM tool
Lead hand $2750/mo base salary; $225/day rate $75/day gamma $75/day EM tool $24/day trainee
Senior hand $3300/mo base salary; $375/day rate $75/day gamma $75/day EM tool $25/day trainee

All of these levels are given $40/day per diem and $600/month to use your car plus a credit card for fuel. I think I'll get to breakout or lead pay in 6 months; senior pay is after 2 years. With everything figured in, a lead hand makes ~$450/day. They don't have an option to work as a contract hand. I've been with them since July and plan to start looking at offers from other companies late next spring after I get experience leading jobs. Maybe I should be looking into Canadian possibilities; I'd even be open to working overseas if the pay is significantly more and/or I save a lot on taxes; anyone with have any thoughts about that?

Irishman, can you share more about what becoming a contract hand looks like? Do you have to provide any equipment or carry any kind of insurance? Contracting sound profitable, but some say that you somehow lose more in taxes. Do you think the work will be as steady? Thanks again for all the info you've shared, I'll keep ya updated.

p.s., is anyone using EM MWD tools there?

Messages In This Thread