rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location independence: Getting a Biz Dev job?

Location independence: Getting a Biz Dev job?

Location independent lifestyle sounds good on paper, but it's hard to get it to work in real life. Where to get the income from?

Starting an internet business, is easier said than done. I soon realized there is more money in making websites for others, than running a website yourself. Especially if you don't have the capital to spend on initial marketing.

At least while trying to set up internet businesses, I learned to code websites, php, javascript and so on. I could probably work as a freelancer. This seems to be the most straightforward way of realistically becoming location independent for income. The problem is, as you move farther from your end customer, you get a smaller piece of the pie, and in the end you may receive no more than 15% of what the end customer pays, with several middle men between you and him. On freelancer.com, there is competition with indian freelancers who will do a website for a bowl of rice. The freelancers I've met were living off 700 euros per month income, it's not enough.

Since I speak a few languages, the other option for me in the immediate future is to get a business development job, with a focus on the area that I want to explore. The problem with this option is that when you are travelling on your employer's resources, you are expected to show results to your boss, you don't decide so much where you go. Often you stay only one day in each city that you visit, which limits gaming options to one night stands. Business travel is often Airport - Meeting - Hotel - Airport with no time to even visit the place you're in. Not to mention that with skype, travel is eliminated whenever possible.

I'm interested in any insight on how to make it as a freelancer and / or making the most out of a business development assignment.

Messages In This Thread