rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting Reamed Out Work

Getting Reamed Out Work

Quote: (03-29-2013 11:56 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Pointing out someones mistake is bush league. It means they are scared of losing their job.

Also being defensive when it is clearly wrong just makes you look dumb, own it in a positive manner.

1. When someone calls you out and its legitimately wrong admit fault and find a way to make sure it never happens again.
2. If there are errors in person 2's work (same level as you), let someone higher up catch it.
3. If someone continues to do passive aggressive stuff to you, continue to play the higher hand of being unphased.

Here's the thing, if the work is seriously fucked up like misspelling CEO's name or sending docs to wrong clients yeah you're not good at your job. Now if its stupid nit picky stuff, the person who calls all that out is looking more and more insecure.

In terms of levels, basically you never talk back to someone above you unless you're getting ready to jump their spot and get promoted. Ex. You + level 1 guy + level 2 guy. NEVER EVER be critical of level 2. You will look like an idiot and burn your own spot.

Another good rule, if you're not being criticized they don't give a shit about you. If you're getting comments from a very high up person then they actually care about your long-term performance. To be honest 99% of people don't realize that critcism is not the way to motivate people, so just accept that they don't understand that concept and realize they are being critical for a positive reason, they want you to improve.

Work game is actually quite fun. Remember this when comparing yourself to other people are the same level. The first person to anger is the first person to lose his job, he cannot control his emotions.

Westcoast: I appreciate your comprehensive response. Since you're a finance guy, I'm in an FP&A role, and this guy would be considered on an equivalent level. A real North Jersey Dbag. My mistake was not following a newly enacted internal process. I didn't follow the internal process and jumped ahead and did my thing (quicker). No one got hurt, no $ lost, no clients upset.

Now here is the thing: I have evidence of several instances where we have lost money, upset the clients, etc with this guy and his group. I have been playing it cool for a while, but I'll admit this thing ticked me off. While he was right in calling me out for not following an internal policy, he could have done it after the meeting.

Also, I should mention that I have recently gotten a promotion and a few direct reports along the way, yet this guy still can't treat me with respect. He on the other hand, has gotten a new manager in the past 6 months.

I like your point about letting others find out about his mistake, but in this one particular instance, he has not gotten client sign off for the work that we have done for them and they are refusing to pay us. What's the best way to bring this to light?

I feel like I'm swimming with sharks, so I am trying to get my house in order first.

Messages In This Thread