rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Airline 'fat tax': Should heavy passengers pay more?

Airline 'fat tax': Should heavy passengers pay more?

Quote: (03-27-2013 09:37 PM)MattW Wrote:  

Purely by weight doesn't make sense IMO. If someone takes up two seats above and has no luggage they should still pay for the two seats because people and luggage aren't interchangeable from the airline's standpoint. Seats should each have one price and the luggage compartment should have its own pricing (weight/space).

I never hear of airplanes running out of room for checked baggage, at least on flights with big planes. But there's no reason why a 2 seat requirement for ultra fatties can't be imposed in addition to a weight tax.

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:10 PM)IQVX Wrote:  

If someone is 220 lbs. but 6' 4" and muscular, they aren't fat.
Fatties should be shamed, but this is about weight, not fat.

Why charge people who are tall and/or just swole?

"Scholars" are great at drafting solutions that make sense on paper but have no bearing in reality. I'd agree if it made sense to charge based on BMI but in this instance it just doesn't. Overall weight in pounds and how fat someone is are two different things. Also, if you're a sea cow who needs two seats then you're already paying double for your fat ass.

Why? Because it costs more to ship someone who's 250 lbs, whether they're cut or fat. This isn't a program to encourage people to be skinny, but to charge people what they cost to move. This proposal is very much based in reality.

I don't stand to gain much, I'm probably heavier than average.

Messages In This Thread