rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

30s and Single- Jealousy or Pity?
0s and Single- Jealousy or Pity?
Quote: (03-22-2013 02:04 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (03-22-2013 12:14 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I disagree. I think the foundation of family is two parents committed to the well being of their children.

Ironically those are the same words I hear coming from gay marriage advocates and gender feminists. First off, marriage long predates laws, alimony, lawyers, governments and contracts. It's a very primal human cultural institution. It evolved as something of a right of passage so universal amongst all cultures advanced and primitive that you can't help but wonder if it arose at the genetic level. It goes far deeper than just a document. If all governments and law disappeared tomorrow, people would still continue to get married in some form. Because it's something that evolved at the organic level. I think ultimately families and marriage are important for the long-term sustainability of any society. Perpetual bachelerhood might work for certain unconventional individuals poised to most gain from that lifestyle, but if that lifestyle was ever adopted at the macro scale, it would be unsustainable. It's like the flipside of feminists with career ambitions that think having kids distracts from the boardroom. Look at the West. It's already in demographic freefall. There are entire European nations that will simply vanish off the face of the earth witin a few hundreds years. In all these countries you see plunging marriage and fertility rates. If marriage was a fundamentally flawed concept, then it never would've evolved and survived for so long. From a purely Darwinistic perspective, it makes sense. It may not make sense for every single individual, but for a society that wants to perpetuate itself, it's a good thing.

While I agree with the manosphere on many things, I don't get all the "marriage is beta" talk I often hear. Never really have. I'm sure if you guys are honest with yourselves you know plenty of people old and young that are happily married. Off the top of my head I can think of a number of good friends that are married to great wives. Yes, even in America. Divorce stats tend to be highly exaggerated and misquoted. The 50% number is a myth. And if you slice it by demographics, it varies tremendously. For example, poverty, low education and race play big roles. Divorce rates for someone that is poor, uneducated, black and living in the inner city are quite high. If you are a suburban WASP with a graduate degree, divorce rates are rather low. Of course these are just generalizations and you will find exceptions in all categories, but a lot of people in the manosphere talk as if all marriage is doomed from the start. It's just not categorically true and your likilihood to divorce depends on a lot of demographic variables that may or may not apply to you.

The 50% divorce rate is not a myth. It is what is estimated as the the divorce rate.

Granted, divorce rates do vary depending on a number of factors, but the overall divorce rate is around 50%.

Plus, the number of people getting married is falling like a rock in the USA.

Just look at this report on marriage and divorce rates if you want a clearer picture of the state of marriage in the USA (take a look at the table of contents since it is a long report):

http://www.stateofourunions.org/2012/SOOU2012.pdf

Messages In This Thread