rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Black Swan" Author Nassim Taleb Reddit Chat

"Black Swan" Author Nassim Taleb Reddit Chat

Quote: (06-08-2013 08:02 PM)LeBeau Wrote:  

For those of you that use FB, I would encourage following him. He is constantly posting, often you get previews of future works as well as different papers and aphorisms. He also regularly responds to comments of people following him or "likes" posts that he agrees with, so it can be more interactive.

Agreed. He just dropped this gem today:

"Journalists are responsible for changing the culture of risk taking by pointing at "mistakes" by others, seen retrospectively, in both business and science: "Einstein's Big Mistake", "Joe Smith's Failure", etc. Academic halfmen are s**t scared of someone pointing at a "mistake" they made somewhere and people justifiably for all they are selling is reputation not results (see how scared Pinker is of my disclosure of the flaws in his statistical claims). Regular people are starting to behave like academic halfmen. Yet I can count that I made 600,000 trading "mistakes" during my active business life and if I have a regret, it is that I didn't make more.
In business, if you survived a mistake, it was not a mistake.
Which brings me to the fundamental concept of a heuristic: it is not judged by "right" or "wrong", but ONLY at the costs of being wrong."

Messages In This Thread