rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why is Universal Health Care a bad thing?

Why is Universal Health Care a bad thing?

Quote: (04-05-2017 07:04 PM)Ouroboros Wrote:  

Quote: (03-05-2013 09:34 PM)Matt3B Wrote:  

I have a fairly controversial view that people who are not contributing to these services should not get them no matter how inhumane the circumstances. Sick people with no money and ill babies shouldn't receive treatment because they haven't paid for it. It's harsh, but as a nation and indeed as a race, bottom dwellers need to be cut off I think. If they aren't contributing to society, why should society provide for them for nothing in return but more demand for consuming?

You don't go into a restaurant, not pay for anything and expect food to be given to you. Why should it be the same for the health service? Think of how much more money this country would have to improve the life of those contributing to it if the bottom feeders and bottom dwellers were cut off.

You wrote this a while ago but I think it still deserves a response. Irrespective of any moral objection, I don't see the logic in denying ill babies healthcare because they haven't 'contributed'. Do you mean ill babies from poor families who haven't been paying taxes or ill babies in general? If you just mean ill babies from poor families, how is it fair (as I believe the appeal to fairness is the premise of the argument) to punish them for their family's life choices/situation before they have even acquired proper sentience? You can't seriously argue that a baby shouldn't get healthcare because it's too 'lazy' to get a proper job and contribute or it acquired leukaemia through 'poor lifestyle choices'.

Thanks for flagging that, mate. I re-read it myself while reading through the thread and got confused by what I had meant by that!

I also assume what I had meant by that is the same as your latter assumption - that ill babies from poor families shouldn't receive the health care.

This was written 4 years ago and my views have changed on that. The rest, I still firmly believe. We as a country really need to take a hard stance on the way our healthcare system is used, especially with shortages of doctors and nurses, and the lack of money available to the NHS.

There are constant stories about how the NHS is struggling and is overcrowded, yet we are not addressing the root causes of it.

Messages In This Thread