rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Want to Live Abroad? - Start a Non-Profit

Want to Live Abroad? - Start a Non-Profit

Greetings from a long time reader of this forum,

Lately I've been listening to Stanford's entrepreneurship podcasts:
http://ecorner.stanford.edu/podcasts.html

I find them to be very inspiring, and they generally put my head in a more constructive/proactive frame of mind. I normally listen to political radio shows, alternative media drivel, which doesn't really help me make it in this world....just a never ending stream of festering negativity, regardless of how true any of it is. It is important to note, however, that the alternative media turns people on to thinking more about the well-being of the world. Nowadays, with the popularity of alternative media, there are more people striving to make the world a better place for everyone.

The general social consciousness has reached a tipping point that is extremely favorable to philanthropic endeavors.

200+ years of industrial society is definitely having its consequences on humanity's ability to sustain a future for itself on this planet.

But alas, let's not get into that discussion....

One particular podcast from Stanford that I found very inspiring is the one from Steven McCormick titled "Drive Change Through Entrepreneurship."

I agree with his assertion that there is going to be huge amounts of money being spent on philanthropy in the next 10-15 years. Environmental remediation, food security, water security, alternative energies...these are all worthwhile areas to concentrate on. Also, McCormick expels the myth that you can't make a decent amount of money from running a non-profit.

Personally, I've been grappling with the idea of heading into the non-profit sector vs. starting a for-profit endeavor. I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of having to rely on handouts (i.e. donations). Yet, a non-profit framework is probably more supportive of my field of interest: regenerative agriculture (using agriculture to actually solve some environmental problems). So my area of expertise has the ability to simultaneously address soil erosion, food security and water security over the long term.

---

To back up, I'll tell you a little about myself: I'm in my late twenties, don't have a trust fund or anything like that to rely on. I have less than 10k in my name. I managed to milk my college education and use it to leverage me to travel (and live) in many countries, so I thankfully know firsthand that there are better and worse places to be, from a social perspective, than the US. Currently, I've got a book coming out, which is relevant to my field of expertise, and I am still deciding exactly where I want it to take me.

The best marketing advice I've heard for authors/self-publishers is to not rely on your book's profits, but to use the book as a calling card to leverage your other (higher-earning) products. So, what are some other higher-earning spinoff products after you publish your non-fiction book? I haven't brainstormed this very much, so I'd be interested in hearing what you all suggest. Consulting/coaching and information bundles (DVD's, audio tapes, etc.) are basically my only two ideas.

I'm debating whether to do more school (Masters and PHD), or if it's just a waste of time, and a vain crutch to lend more credibility to what I do. Personally, I don't think it's necessary since I'm a very auto-didactic person, and the best education is to learn from real world experience. Still, how do you address that issue of people not thinking you're credible, because you don't have some special college degree?

What I like to do is regenerative agriculture using novel tree crops. That's why I believe it should be executed through the framework of a non-profit. Since we're talking about trees, it may be ~20 years before some start to produce. Plus, the quality is variable from tree to tree. Therefore, this is all extremely risky from a mainstream investor’s perspective. I don't even think there is any investment that deals with that long of a timescale.

The best way to make this work would be to setup a non-profit demonstration farm in a foreign country to draw upon a cheaper labor force, and to donate some of the produce to smallholder farmers that are being pushed off their land because of bigger industries. Heck, you could even advertise, "exciting volunteer opportunities" to naive enviro university students living on mommy and daddy's dime. Also, there is potential for profit through: tourism (it would be an extremely unique, edible botanic garden), courses (e.g. people will pay several thousand dollars for a permaculture course that lasts for just a few weeks), and selecting reliable new crop cultivars that can earn royalties everytime any of them are sold throughout the world. Also, there are plenty of opportunities for university students to conduct field studies.

---

The biggest challenge is time management. As an entrepreneur and “expert” in your field, you may often feel discouraged that you are not able to pursue your passion while you are hammering away on the business logistics. I certainly have felt this way because of my self-publishing. Also, it’s important to not submerse yourself too deeply for too long in the business side, or your bread-and-butter skills may become rusty.

Anyway, I’ve seen plenty of business books recommended on this forum. However, I’d like to get some recommendations for business books with the caveat of being geared towards an international business in a foreign country as well as being a non-profit. How can you setup a non-profit elsewhere as a non-citizen?

Since I saw it here on the forum, I’ll be reading the book, Million Dollar Consulting. Does this book address the issue of potential clients feeling like you always need another college degree or another internship or another apprenticeship, or another job before you’re “good enough”?

Hey Roosh, why don’t you do some coaching? Or another idea I have for you is to become a tour manager for teaching guys to seduce women in foreign countries so they can marry them and get a second passport. Also, you could probably make bank by tapping into the study abroad market, and offering a Cusco fuckfest crash course for virgin undergrads from the US.

Messages In This Thread