rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting bigger without protein powder?

Getting bigger without protein powder?

Quote: (02-27-2013 12:14 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Quote: (02-27-2013 11:25 AM)Hades Wrote:  

Keep in mind that overtraining is not real if you eat and sleep enough.

Hades
Can you expand on this perhaps?

I'm currently on the stronglifts 5x5 program, but only started a couple of months back. I'm having real issues with the 3x per week squats. In my opinion I'm never resting my legs and am in a more or less constant state of muscular fatigue. My pulse is also a little elevated (by around 5 bpm) which I understand is a sign of over training.

Any tips aside from eating and sleeping sufficiently to deal with week after week of hard workouts?

I squat or deadlift or both almost every day and don't suffer from fatigue issues. I am not 100% familiar with Stronglifts but I assume that it's three times a week? Could you flesh out a typical week?

Basically overtraining doesn't exist, it only "happens" when undereating and undersleeping.
If you're eating four or five fairly fatty meals a day (and drinking tons of water), lifting heavy, and getting in 8 to 10 hours of sleep a night (I wholeheartedly recommend sleeping in the window from 10PM to 200AM every night or your sleep won't produce as many hormones needed for growth) and a nap every couple of days, then you can lift for like two hours a day, five days a week for the first three to six months of training and put on stupid amounts of muscle.

I'll put this in bullets because I reread it and it's confusing. Avoid symptoms of overtraining by -
  • Eating heavy and fatty meals
  • Drinking at least three liters of water per day
  • Lifting heavy but never to failure
  • Sleeping before 10PM and for at least eight hours
  • Doing supplementary strength exercises and back-off sets
A couple of long walks a week can't hurt either. I've walked out soreness before, it feels strange but it can be done.

Messages In This Thread