rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NYC Restaurant Report: A Guide To Eating The Apple

NYC Restaurant Report: A Guide To Eating The Apple

I'm a native and long time resident of New York, and even though I haven't been based there for a few years, I spend a few months each year there and could not help chiming in on this thread. NY is a food capital of the world (not the only one, but in the conversation of the very top places) and so to miss out on food in NYC is to ignore a huge part of what makes NYC, well, NYC.

To me, part of the wonder of a city like NYC when it comes to eating is not just the Jean Georges and the Per Se type restaurants, which top Zagat lists and have three Michelin stars, but finding the places that don't require a second mortgage. They can be expensive to be sure, but the quality you're getting makes them a much better value than the places that get all the hype.

When I was an attorney with a Wall Street firm, before all of the market adjustments (the late 1990's, OK, I said it, [Image: smile.gif]), when we had summer associates from top law schools as clerks, we were permitted to take the clerks to fancy lunches every weekday and have the bill paid for by the firm. There was no price limit, you could spend whatever you thought you could reasonably get away with. Nobody pushed that rule too hard, and there was very little lunchtime drinking, but it got to the point where you wouldn't go out because you were still feeling sluggish from the feast you'd had the day before. I'd say 2-3 times per week, we'd go out to a top 50 restaurant (or somewhere else we liked, or had time for, most of the best restaurants aren't in the Wall Street area and taxis take time to get uptown, not always a luxury for a big firm associate). I say this because it gives a sense of my basis of comparison, not because I am going to recommend those restaurants here - its unnecessary too, just go on Zagats and look.

I'll mention some restaurants at various price ranges for consideration. I'm not as tied in, so I'll apologize in advance if one or more of these has dropped off in quality or even closed.

Il Mulino (86 W 3rd) - was the best food I had in NYC for many many meals. If its anything close to what it was as a Northern Italian standout, its worth the money. French oysters topped with caviar (only if a business is paying, hehe), fresh imported cheeses to whet the palette, and don't forget the homemade grappa.

Steak - the unknown champ of NYC steak - Mark Joseph, downtown on Pecks Slip. Unbelievable porter house, because the butcher from Peter Luger in the 1990s opened the place. Great apps and sides, top quality. Not the most beautiful, but you don't have to leave Manhattan for Brooklyn to equal Luger quality, and you can get in, especially after 830 or weekends, without a big wait.

For NYC steak, also, keep in mind that restaurants typically don't do every cut the best. They tend to be more focused on one or two types of cuts/preparation. For that reason, if you want Prime Rib, you don't go to MJ or PL, you're best off at Old Homestead on Ninth Avenue. If you want a NY Strip, Smith and Wollensky might be a better choice (many places serve a good NY strip, actually - hell, it is a NY strip, they should in NY, right?). In keeping with this theme, I'd also say when visiting restaurants, there is no shame and in fact a lot of intelligence in ordering what they're know for - its the item that will likely be freshest and for which they're most expert at preparing. Don't go to a fish house and order the chicken - it makes no sense on any number of bases.

Steak and continental european - the best date restaurant for me in NYC was, and maybe still is, Raouls, in Soho (180 Prince St). . Steak a poivre (your girl will be eating the frites off your plate, guaranteed), great french specialties, one of the most romantic venues in NYC with the coolest crowd. Its small and you need a reservation or to be willing to wait. There is both a secluded balcony to eat in upstairs, or try the garden, which requires a walk through the kitchen to reach for some quiet time. I miss this place just writing about it, and I don't even eat steak anymore. Less expensive than "top" NYC restaurants, and 100 percent of the experience. +1 if anyone can find out if Eddie is still the maitre'd.

Pizzawise - a lot of NYC people love Patsy, on the Upper West Side. But the best pizza in Manhattan is, of course, in Brooklyn. Train taxi or motorcycle over to Grimaldi's (1 Front Street). Don't worry about the crowds, service is fast. Family style seating (but not food sharing) so its not that intimate. Fucking really really good pizza.

For brunch, for years I liked Pastis - got an artsy, film industry (like me) crowd, lot of models/wannabes, and good food. Not crazy pricey, much less than say, Balthazar, which is very good too. The meatpacking district has kind of become a shit-show, now, but I'd think around brunch it would not be so bad, still. Would love an update, if anyone has one.

For Korean, Flushing is to be sure a good option, but don't sleep on 31st st off 6th Avenue. There are a load of Korean places on that road (karaoke private rooms places as well). The quality is mixed, so dig around on yelp a bit before landing. Unforntunately, I don't know the names of the places, just where they are, so I can't be more helpful. Prices are reasonable (manhattan standards).

Chinese late nite (all nite, really) go to Wo Hop (17 Mott St). Open all nite, huge crowds sometimes after 3Am on weekends, can even game there but be careful of the guido guys - they're very possessive with their girls. Greasy, flavorful chinese. kind of a diner, but tiny. If you've ever been out late in NYC, its not that uncommon around the clubs on 29th St. to hear people discussing Wo Hop.

Another budget option are the Indian restaurants on E6th St., especially for non-meat eaters or people who can't afford to drop 30-40 or way more, on dinner.

For a road trip (or a boat trip - my closest friend has a sailboat, this was a lot of fun, we left from Bayside marina though) go to City Island in the Bronx for lobsters and seafood. I'd recommend the lobster box, off season is better without the tourist crush. Still will be much cheaper than comparable Manhattan quality and its a little pleasant, somewhat kitschy town perhaps 30 minutes from Manhattan.

I had the vast advantage of a motorcycle so going to many of these places was very easy for me. Its not so easy to get to City Island without a car, no train goes there - probably would involve a bus, which for a dinner trip would seem a non-starter. If you go to the Hamptons though, it could be a good place to stop back on the way to the city on a Sunday.

Katz's on Houston is a must do. Don't miss it. You can go there and then head to the LES for bars on Delancey, Ludlow, etc. Also, no argument on Le Bernadin - Eric Ripert was my father's patient (my dad is a retired dentist) so my family got the royal treatment at LB several times. If you have the cash and like Haute French Cuisine check it out.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Messages In This Thread