rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

China is still the Great Unknown

China is still the Great Unknown

Quote: (02-19-2013 10:32 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Quote: (02-19-2013 10:17 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

It's pretty easy to get a job here teaching English. Basic qualifications typically include being foreign and breathing. Food might be a little more expensive in Beijing but you can still find meals for US$2 or so. If you're really on a budget you can get packs of instant noodles for 2rmb.

Leisure can get pricey, it depends on what you want to do. Most things are cheaper than the US but still expensive by Chinese standards.

The subway is 2rmb, buses are 1rmb. You can buy a scooter for 1600rmb. A pedal bike will run up from 500rmb.

What about jobs teaching English without contract involved? Let's say I plan on staying 1 or 2 months, obviously no hiring with contract involved would take place. Would it be possible to still get the gig for the time being ?

Quote:Quote:

discalimer again:not in beijing
buuuut 20$ per night sounds super fucking expensive.

Wow... what would you say is a reasonable price then? Would you say Airbnb is a good idea to find places in Beijing to stay for 1 or 2 months ?

yes, you can find off the books places everywhere. i've only found these places through word of mouth, so i don't know how you'd locate them without a social circle, but im sure asking local expats could help you out. the second option would be to free lance, tell chinese girls you meet that you're a private teacher and sometimes they have a friend that wants to learn.

i don't really know what airbnb is because i've never used it. i don't know what rent goes for in beijing or what kind of place you want. To get a sense of what rent should be, you can do one of the following:
1) go to couchsurfing beijing and search for roommate ads. this is just to get a sense of what other people are paying.
2) if your chinese is good enough you can poke around on haozu.com
this will just give you a general sense of what other people are paying so you can make your own decision

Messages In This Thread