rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Career vs Lifestyle

Career vs Lifestyle

Quote: (05-04-2010 07:49 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2010 11:53 AM)doriangray Wrote:  

But lifestyle is not always the opposite of rat race. It depends on the lifestyle. "Rat race" also gives some continuity and security, which many people want in their lives. No life style is objectively better than others, it's all subjective.

I once heard a very successful man say that
Quote:Quote:

in life, there are 2 doors, one is marked "Security" and the other is marked "Freedom". If you choose the door/path labelled "Security", you may well loose both. Instead, dare to go for "Freedom" and you will have both.
I believe that wiser words were rarely spoken. Specially in today's economy, there is no job security. I know people who have been at their "safe and secure" job of over 30 years and told one morning without any warning nor any ceremony that they're fired or no longer needed. It's a true tragedy nowadays to depend and base your and your family's well being on a J.O.B and the whims of some beancounter in accounting for whom you're more than expandable and replacable, regardless of your position, qualifications, skills and experiences. It's such a crime that money management, investing basics and how to avoid debt along inciting people to be more daring and encouraging them to build their own businesses are not made mandatory courses in high school. This is one of the reasons that today, the world economy is in such a dire situation. Only we, each of us individually can do something about it and not depend on anyone to help us, let alone the corporations or the governments.

Well, what is Freedom to someone? Travelling on low budget in exotic countries? Or working home and then travellin on higher budget? I mean I get your point and I think we probably agree on this topic in general, but I don't like how you make it too simple "security VS freedom" issue, because both of these terms really depend on the definition and it's just not so black and white. Of course it sounds cooler when it's totally one versus the other..

I have been travelling a lot myself and I've been a bit surprised to found the conservative side in me wanting to go back home and to live "the normal life" for a while. I guess some kind of balanced combination is the best option. I mean, if we take this "freedom" as not having bonds to any people and any institutions anywhere, just travelling where the wind takes you etc, I don't think many people can actually do that and feel happy.

Oh, and I am totally with you on the subject of wealth management not being an obligatory course..

Messages In This Thread