rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A World-Class Violinist on a $3.5 million violin Ignored on the Street

A World-Class Violinist on a .5 million violin Ignored on the Street

Quote: (01-09-2013 02:59 PM)Blaster Wrote:  

For this reason it can be very enlightening to study the classical music forms and basic music theory principles. Although being preoccupied with identifying forms and theoretical features will probably harm enjoyment for most people, a basic understanding of the concepts of harmonic progression, phrasing, key relationships, thematic variation and maybe polyphony can go a long way to helping someone understand the point of classical music.

I appreciate the background info and I dig that sonata you linked, but I think you have a different type of enjoyment of music than most people.

For me, music is 100% emotional. If I have to understand what's going on at the mechanical level to appreciate it then it's more of an intellectual enjoyment and not very emotionally stirring. Which is odd because I find some classical pieces to be some of the most emotionally moving pieces of music ever written, such as Mozart's 25th Symphony, the Moonlight Sonata, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Handel's Messiah. I've heard those performed live and I had constant chills like nothing else, totally blew me away.

I think modern rock, pop, etc bashes around emotions with a sledge hammer whereas classical musical taps into emotions with needlepoint precision and subtlety. Both can be powerful.

Messages In This Thread