rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

No Shoes in the House! (Asian Style)

No Shoes in the House! (Asian Style)

Am I the only person here who is a Nazi about wearing shoes in the house?

I know 90% of Americans wear shoes in their home, and don't even think twice about taking their shoes off in the house. Personally, I think Asian people have got it right with their no shoes policy. When I was younger I always thought it was funny that they were like that, and wondered why it was such a big deal. Then after going to Bangkok it became pretty evident. I had a newish pair of havainna flip flops that were clean when I got to BKK, after 3-4 days of walking around the city they were almost completely black!

Now I'd say major cities in Asia are definitely dirty then cities here in the U.S., and overall most small to mid-sized U.S. towns are pretty clean, but if I lived in a city like SF or NYC, I certainly wouldn't wear shoes in the house. The streets are dirty, with the chance of stepping in dog shit, piss, vomit, trash, motor oil run off, etc. pretty high, why would you want to walk around your home in the same shoes that are stepping in that filth?

My friends all think I'm an OCD germaphobic nut, which admittedly I am, but I think they are kind of ignorant for not being more aware of these things. I always ask people to take my shoes off in my place, and one friend in particular always throws a fit and acts like it's such a hardship to take his shoes off when he comes over. Anyways, at the end of the day my hardwood floors and carpeting are going to stay cleaner, meaning that I won't have to mop the hardwood as often, or pay for carpet cleaners to come over every couple year.

Anyone else Asian with their no shoes policy? LOL, this topic probably didn't necessitate a post, but I think it's somewhat interesting from a cultural point of view. Cleanliness is next to Godliness and no shoes in the house is one more way to keep it clean!

Messages In This Thread