rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Who Here is Deep Into Meditation?

Who Here is Deep Into Meditation?

Quote: (12-28-2012 06:18 AM)reino341 Wrote:  

I have meditated for almost a month daily now. Still having lots of trouble concentrating and achieving the meditative state, sometimes I just notice that my mind has been wandering for a few minutes.

Have you picked up any books or attended any classes to get pointers?

A couple things I've noticed about wandering minds:

1) Don't beat yourself up about it. If you find your mind wandering, just acknowledge it and clear your thoughts again to get back on track. When it wanders again, just bring it back. It's like teaching a dog to heel, to pull a metaphor out of my ass. lol It will continually keep trying to wander off but you just gently and patiently guide it back.

Getting mad or frustrated with your own wandering mind is like getting mad at your own nature, and self-defeating.

2) Experiment with observing your mind rather than on completely clearing it. Don't run with your thoughts, but don't force them out either. "Accept" everything as it is without actively playing a role in it, if that makes sense.

I find when I do this I tend to find less thoughts popping up. When I actively try to push all thoughts out of my mind, on the other hand, it sometimes goes on hyperdrive.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir - I'm no expert. Just a couple tips.

Quote: (12-28-2012 07:38 AM)tiggaling Wrote:  

I have meditated, but do not really believe in it. I try to live my life as a meditation - in a sense. I do think that those who have not done a 10 day vipassna silent meditation retreat are missing out, as it is really quite an experience!

Your statements are extremely confusing. You don't believe in meditation, but you try to live your life as a meditation and assert that anyone who hasn't done a vipassana retreat is missing out?

Can you explain and elaborate?

Quote: (12-28-2012 11:29 AM)n0000 Wrote:  

Beyond Borders - Check PMs

Hey Man - I got your pm. No internet last night. I'll get back to you on this in a bit.

Quote: (12-28-2012 11:48 AM)dirtypurist Wrote:  

I've done this retreat in Thailand a couple of times
http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

It's a very high quality place, 10 days retreat in the jungle.

Thanks for this - mind elaborating on your experience there and the benefits you got from it? How do you think that particular place measures up to others?

Quote: (12-28-2012 04:40 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I was in a small hotel once, there was a "buddists bible" on the desk, I read a few pages, it was interesting. I saw it basically as thought control for maintaining happiness. Interesting concepts, techniques, and philosophy.

When I got home I looked into it more. I came across meditation. I read about it. I tried it.

I heard that one of my favorite comedians, Andy Kaufmann did "transcendental meditation" before shows. That's when I got serious about it. I wanted to experience it. I read more and I tried harder.

I wasn't very good at it.

I focused on my breath and I "became the observer" of my thoughts, feelings, etc. I got better. I gained perspective by not living in my own head too much.

One day I realized that there was a better way for me clear my head. Do what I have been doing since I was a kid..

Play!

I play basketball or soccer or tennis or swim almost everyday. This is meditation for me.

Even better if I do it in nature. I try to play in the most scenic areas, on the most beautiful courts and fields. I go to the wealthiest neighborhoods to play at those parks. I know a soccer field with views of the whole Bay Area and a basketball court surrounded by tall eucalyptus tress.

I still have to focus on my breathe to get started but now I include my whole body, its an active meditation.

I also do "scream therapy":

I try to meditate when I'm cooking and eating, during sex (sometimes), and during exercise. Boxing/mma fighting is great meditation.

To me life is one big meditative experience. Some will say that I don't have a deep understanding of the practice. I say if it brings me relaxation, peace of mind, a clear head, focus, and energy -- then who can say I am not mediating?

I have developed a strategy that works for me. But, I know there are many deeper layers.

Having never met you, I've assumed you to be a very kinesthetic, high-energy person based on how I read your posts. So I can see why this approach would work well for you, and it's a great approach to life.

That said, I think for kinetsthetic, high-energy people, at least some regular sitting meditation would be a very good exercise in patience.

Do you think that applies with you at all?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread