rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Top careers that pay well and allow for an independent lifestyle

Top careers that pay well and allow for an independent lifestyle

Quote: (01-01-2013 11:53 AM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

To someone who has never been forward deployed, it sounds counter-intuitive, but you really are much safer on a FOB in Afghanistan than you are in urban areas of most large cities. If you're an idiot and you go looking for trouble, you'll fucking find it and find it quick. But if you don't do anything remarkably fucking stupid, you'll be just fine. I'm not suggesting it's a great idea and it's certainly not for everyone, but it does answer the mail when it comes to the original question... It's a job that pays very well, doesn't require advanced degrees or technical training, and allows you to work when you want to work with long periods of free time between gigs, if that's what you choose to do.
I would never recommend it for someone who wasn't motivated to do it, because it does suck. There is no doubt about that. But, as wlee25 mentioned, it sucks because it is fucking BORING when you're not working. I would never expect someone who has never been in a combat zone to understand, but it really is very safe. I know. It sounds insane. But, it really is. Any family member who asks me about working over here, I tell them to do it while you still can and the money is still available and I do so without reservations or concern for their safety or well-being. There is a lot of money to be made and a lot of leeway in working schedules and the opportunity is not always going to be there. Just my $0.02.

Maestrobaires -- Man, I looked through several search engines in regards to IT positions. There are several, it's just that now, since contracting has become big business, most of the sites I saw require a payed membership. If I was looking for a job, I would register with one of those sites and scour them for available positions. Just consult the almighty Google machine using keywords: Civilian contracting, IT
In fact, I even stumbled across several sites that advertised work not in combat zones... Still some dangerous places (Indonesia, Qatar, Kuwait, etc.) were listed, but there were also places like Germany, Japan, and Poland as well. I'd assume those areas don't pay as well as a combat zone, but whatever. I can't imagine it being difficult to find an IT position in lots of places if you are willing to travel, can stay deployed for a while, and have no problem enduring terminal boredom. But, it sounds like you've done it before, so you know the deal already.
Good luck!

This sounds interesting. Im sure these war zones are not as bad as people say it is, i was recently in a war zone country and it wasnt that bad. And i used to hit bad spots the whole time.

Anyway, how easy is it to get one of these jobs? Is this just for americans or they recruit british citizens too?

Not sure if they would be willing to recruit someone with little experience. My field is health, safety and environment.

I would love to get one of these jobs.

Messages In This Thread