rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thedude makes oatmeal

Thedude makes oatmeal

Okay okay, I know what you're thinking. Oatmeal's not exactly a big deal or necessarily needs explaining or a recipe. This is more of an endorsement for a specific type of oatmeal and how to prepare it:

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo1_250.jpg]

McCann's steel cut Irish oats. They sell this at Trader Joes. As any of you guys have realized, following a high protein diet and taking supplements can sometimes lead to a case of the peanut butter shits. Oatmeal is a GREAT way to get a large dose of soluble and insoluble fiber to counteract this. It's also a great source of complex carbs to fuel your body from doing your squats. I'd consider it a necessity in the RVF-prescribed regimen (ACV, Zinc, baking soda, you know)

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo2_250.jpg]

This is for a single serving. These days I eat 1/2 C (measured out dry), or two servings every morning. Now, here's the thing: McCann's makes instant oats that cook up in about 5 minutes, but I still insist on using the steel cut. Nutritionally, by weight, they're exactly the same. Why do I use steel cut? They're fucking delicious, completely unlike any oatmeal you've ever had unless you've had the steel cut before. The steel cut take about 45 minutes to cook. But what's great is that you can cook up an entire WEEK'S worth at once, portion it out into little tupperware containers, and pop one open every day, add a little water, heat and serve. The oatmeal will obviously harden as it cools, but just heat it up slowly with a few tablespoons of water and it'll loosen up again.

To cook it initially I do a 1/4 ratio of oats to water by volume. So 1/2 C of oats gets 2 C of water. I cook it slowly for 45 minutes, VERY low heat, just a gentle simmer, and stir occasionally.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo5_250.jpg]

If you're wondering about that cooktop, that's called an induction burner. The surface doesn't actually heat. It's an electromagnetic motor that reacts to the pot and heats the pot only. You could keep an ice cube next to the pot on the surface and it wouldn't melt. You can pick them up for 5-800 bucks if you're serious about cooking; they allow for EXTREMELY precise heat control and you can plug them into any outlet.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo3_250.jpg]

The oatmeal should thicken and have the same consistency as risotto. Fluid, but tight.

[Image: tumblr_me405e7vqQ1rkla7mo4_250.jpg]

I like my oatmeal garnished with a little cultured butter, this one's from Vermont. You can sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, buttermilk, preserves, or any combination of the above, but I'm keeping away from sugar for the time being. I cook the oatmeal with a little pinch of sea salt to bring out the oat flavor. The texture of the steel cut oats vs. the instant stuff is absolutely incomparable and I encourage everyone to give it a shot.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Messages In This Thread