rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Spanish Learning Resources

Spanish Learning Resources

What's great about Spanish is that there's so many self-learning materials, unlike in Portuguese.

BOOKS
  • Spanish Verb Tenses: Packed full of exercises with answers in the back. This is my Spanish bible and the only book I've kept with me for my entire time in South America. I've tried other books in the "Practice Makes Perfect" series but this is my favorite because if you master verbs everything else falls into place.
  • Madrigal's Magic Key To Spanish: My favorite grammar book. It's chopped up into short lessons and contains answers to exercises. Just make sure you read sentences aloud to practice your accent or else you'll be great at writing but very weak in speaking.
  • Verb Conjugation Books. I have two. My big one is The Big Red Book Of Spanish Verbs. It's detailed but weighs a ton, so while traveling I have a pocket version.
AUDIO
  • Pimsleur. I've mentioned this course dozens of times now. It's split into 3 units, each containing 15 hours of call-and-response lessons. You can download this on torrent sites or buy it used from Amazon. I hate to condone piracy and all but I have bought two of their units (Spanish I and Italian I) at full price years back.
  • Michel Thomas. This is an alternative to Pimsleur that is fairly cheaper. I haven't used it myself but a couple guys I met in Colombia had good things to say about it.
  • Radio Lingua. Lumiere recommended this a while ago and I'm about to start their Showtime Spanish course (for intermediate/advanced students). It's different than Pimsleur as you do more listening than talking, but I checked out a couple samples and it seems promising. The mp3 courses are free and for a premium membership you get bonus materials. Can anyone review their premium service?
  • Juanes. This is a famous Colombian singer with a easy-to-understand accent. Listen to his music and try to figure out what he's saying.
WEBSITES
  • Word Reference. Great site with detailed translations and examples. Also has a forum which answers a lot of grammar questions.
  • Online Verb Conjugator
  • Hook Up Spanish Phrase Guide. Very useful. I think a forum member posted this a while ago.
  • StudySpanish.com. Lots of free tutorials if you sign up for their free membership. They have a premium membership that I haven't tired.
  • Live Mocha. Some kind of interactive site where you post writing in Spanish and have native speakers correct it for you. I've been intending to try this for a while.
Did I miss anything?

Messages In This Thread