rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Switching from Windows to Linux

Switching from Windows to Linux

Quote: (11-09-2012 06:30 PM)michelin Wrote:  

Anybody using Linux here?

OK, this is kind of a nerdy topic, but geeks will love it. I just switched to this operating system LINUX after too many years of trouble with my Windows XP, VIsta and 7.

First impressions: Linux rocks!

FIVE ADVANTAGES:

1. FAST, blazing speed, even on older machines (I mean up to 10 years old)
2. No viruses and other shit that screws up your computer' s hard drive and system.
3. Free software, I mean really FREE: all applications come with the system or can easily be installed.
4. VERY User friendly. Linux made huge progress over the years to become user friendly and stable (it won't crash easily).
5. great support online and on forums

DISADVANTAGE
The main disadvantage is still compatibility with Windows, but the Linux teams have worked hard to fix that problem. I would estimate by now 80% of all file formats are compatible in Linux. ALso, you can easily run Windows on a Linux system.

Right now Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the top Linux versions. Here is a great review of Linux Mint.

Most people who have switched to Linux have the same feeling as those who have switched to Apple: you never go back to Windows! Actually, you kinda feel of screwed of having had all that trouble and paid expensive MS software over the years...

Anybody using Linux put your feedback in this thread.

I switched from Windows to Linux last year due to too many configuration issues with my IDEs and I have to say, other than Gaming, I never even boot to my windows partition anymore.

Truth be told, there is a bit of a learning curve for people coming from a windows background, but I imagine it's not as steep as moving from Windows to Mac.

All in all, Linux has been a blessing and I've been an unofficial advocate for it since I picked it up last year.[Image: blush.gif]

Messages In This Thread