rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Switching from Windows to Linux

Switching from Windows to Linux

Alight, I will contribute my $0.02 here.
First some questions you need to answer to yourself:

- Are you techy? Are you techy curious? Are you willing to learn some of the coolest things about the OS and its nuts and bolts?
If you answered yes to at least one of the above questions then you should totally be using Linux, master the command line, learn how to leverage it to your needs and NOT be a slave of its learning curve. Linux/Unix is very friendly, it's just selective about who his friends are. You can do everything in Linux, from normal things like file management and browsing and media stuff to real engineering projects. I read above about netflix and other things like this...of course you can do them in Linux, it's just you need to know how-to...thus back to the questions above. Linux (or any other Unix-like) is your server and you're the master, not the other way around.

- Are you mostly a gamer? Are you into heavy software that need a lot of graphics and specific GPUs and high memory? Do you use the PC for media mostly?
If you answered yes to any of the above then Windows is for you, this is a business decision looking at this market. Linux never went into this angle, Windows did. Shoot the shit with Linux for fun sometimes but it's not for you. Stick to the flashy Windows and all its shitty things. No shame in this.

- Are you always bothered by the chores you need to do on your PC? Do you not care at all about how things are done, you just need the result?
If you answered yes then MacOS is for you. MacOS does everything, all you need to do is drag and drop stuff. You don't care what happens. You should not care if you're not interested to.
(A controversy here is that most tech people don't want to be their own help-desk so that's why you see a lot of engineers using Macs, shit just runs there, their projects are more important than setting up your own LAMP)

Happy to answer anything in specific here but there is no right or wrong OS, it all depends on what you're into and what do you want to do.
Cheers

Messages In This Thread