rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Kindle Paperwhite

Kindle Paperwhite

For those of you who are looking to get the new Kindle Paperwhite, I just received mine today. Costs 119.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-...rds=kindle

For starters, I already love it. I had the basic kindle before and I loved that too.

I also bought the case too. 39.99. Magnetic close and turns the Kindle on when you open it and turns it off when you close it. Convenient. Doesn't add too much bulk to it either. Fits in the hand ok, not great, but ok. Probably won't fit in your pocket anymore though.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Pape...Cover_popT

I never really noticed this before, but having the lit screen actually makes a big difference. Even in just regular light I think it makes it easier to see the screen. Some of the reviews on Amazon said that the LEDs on the bottom cast a shadow in between the lights. They do, but it is pretty insignificant. More noticeable in the dark, but still insignificant.

The light is supposed to be a big deal because it is shining down on the page rather than shining at the reader like a tablet or computer screen. If you spend a a decent amount of time reading it will definitely be easier on the eyes.

Battery life is supposedly 8 weeks based on 30 minutes of reading a day, wifi off, and light setting at 10. Having the light at 10 is a little dim (recommended for low light setting) and I think 15-20 is going to be the normal range. Even so, pretty crazy battery life. The basic Kindle was supposed to have a battery life of 1 month so it is supposed to be an improvement even with the light.

I think the paperwhite is a little faster than the basic Kindle. Not so much that you really notice it though.

The paperwhite is a little bit heavier. Still pretty light.

Screen responds to both touch to turn page (touch the right 75% of the screen to go forward and the left 25% of the screen to go back) and also to swipe gestures.

It has some cool features like touch and hold can easily bring up definitions of words, you can access information about characters of the book, highlight and save phrases (I think you can post them to Facebook or twitter, not sure, didn't link my Kindle to my FB account), and pull up information about the author.

The homepage gives a photo of the book cover rather than the basic just giving a line of title and author.

Overall I think it is awesome. I ordered it a few weeks ago and it was on backorder, but it arrived weeks before the initial scheduled delivery date. If you have an older Kindle and you primarily read during the day in good lighting then I don't think it is necessary to upgrade. The touchscreen is nice and I think the light makes even daytime reading easier, but 120$ is still 120$.

Messages In This Thread