rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Squat Plateau

Squat Plateau

Quote: (10-24-2012 10:23 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

Quote: (10-24-2012 06:42 AM)Hades Wrote:  

Well keep in mind that cycling DOES work. It just takes time to bring the results. You have the capability to squat 500 pounds at your bodyweight. Some athletes have done it so it is not impossible.

While it's possible that any individual person could squat 500 lbs., it's certainly not true that every person can do so, even with years of training.

That's just as unrealistic as saying that every guy can become a world-class player if he just devotes enough energy to the game.

Individual genetics will play a big role in determining a person's ultimate potential for strength. Telling everyone they can squat 500 lbs. if they try hard enough is just going to result in a ton of guys injuring themselves because they're trying to push beyond their genetic limits.

Look at this table of lifting performance, and keep in mind that only 1% of people who lift weights will reach the "elite" threshold.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLiftin...dards.html

Don't take this to mean that I'm saying guys shouldn't lift heavy weights and push themselves. I'm just saying that at some point you have to be realistic and listen to your body, and recognize that if you aren't an elite athlete you probably aren't going to be pushing those huge weight stacks. And that's ok. For the average guy who just wants to build muscle and maintain a high level of fitness, there's not much functional difference between squatting 250 and 500 lbs.

Plus I'd rather be squatting 250 in perfect health than fuck up my knees and back by chasing after 500.

I'm kind of replying to Aliblahba too, it's just a very long post to requote.

I agree that some people do not have the genetic capability to squat 500 pounds. Same applies to the shoulders, some people have a genetic predisposition to shoulder injuries and shit. It's not something you can help, it's only something you should know about so you can train around it. There's a lot of compromises you have to make for this sort of thing.

I saw a video somewhere where this huge dinosaur of a man (must have been pushing 400 pounds of bodyweight) was squatting a thousand pounds as a 1 rep max. Just goes to show that if you pack on shitloads of muscle (the guy was pretty fat too though), you can squat more.

I just figure that since the OP is only 160 pounds and can already squat 260 he could probably throw around 500 pounds at about 200 pounds of body weight. Mark Rippetoe's written some papers on this that can back me up if you guys want hard numbers.

If he's happy with less of a weight then a 300 pound squat is a respectable goal. Most guys off the street probably can't squat the bar and one plate so there's nothing wrong with a 300 pound squat.

This is a game forum to be sure so the mentality of "push yourself until you break" is kind of anti-game (and a little self destructive), but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Messages In This Thread