rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Kuala Lumpur Datasheet + Game Guide

Kuala Lumpur Datasheet + Game Guide

Penang Report

Spent ten days in Georgetown. Disappointed in the UNESCO heritage. Melaka is better. Not much natural beauty nor good beaches. Some Nightlife on Lovers Lane with one Party Hostel. Expensive alcohol. Everyone smokes. Overall wouldn’t recommend Penang for game nor a vacation.

Transport
Bus 401 runs you from the airport to Georgetown in an hour. A taxi is ten times the price and takes 30 min. I rented a scooter for RM35/day. You can get a bit less if you rent longer. There’s a free circular route CAT bus in Georgetown. I just walked or took Grab everywhere. The scooter is useful for going around the back side of the island.

Accommodation
I booked last minute and didn’t have much choice on AirBnB. I got my own room and bath for $10/night just outside historic district. I wouldn’t recommend staying in a resort since it’s not worth it. Batu Ferringi would be the place for that. A bit isolated from the sites though.

Georgetown
The UNESCO quarter is hodgepodge and a bit dumpy compared to Melaka. Too many buildings were knocked down in the 80s and many more in need of restoration. I was quite surprised by this. Both cities got UNESCO at the same time in 2008. However Melaka being the backwater never got developed so is far more charming to stroll.

Melaka also has way more museums. Pretty much all the attractions in Penang are outright tourist traps that should be skipped. There must be 10 trick art “musuems”. The state museum is shuttered indefinitely and Fort Cornwallis is in terrible shape. Really pathetic for a UNESCO World Heritage District.

Armenian Street has some great chinese heritage in the form of clan jetties and ancestral halls. Most of the Street art around Penang is dumb black wire cartoons. Ipoh in Perak has more whimsical and pretty murals. Another disappointment for Penang. I didn’t even bother seeking out the street art because it was so dumb and ugly. Armenian Street has a night market on Saturday but it was nothing special.

There’s a big Little India. A good place if you’re looking to experience festivals such as Deepavali, Thaipusam, etc. I caught the tail end of Dewali.

The locals are British educated and most everyone seemed to speak fluent English. The heavy British heritage here reminded me of SG and HK. They make a big deal about the food but I found it no different than any other tourist areas of Malaysia which isn’t saying much. I’d rather have subway than most Malaysian dishes.

There’s maybe 400-500 Germans living here too. I was told octoberfest is celebrated with a beer garden. Shoot for the free Walking Tour with Penang Global Tourism at 10:30 on Tu, Th, Sat. Sign up early as its limited.

Full body assages are about RM60/hour on the low end. I was offered “extra services” but declined. Just north of the corner of Chulia and lovers lane is where the hookers hangout. Beware any girl there giving you ioi. They are easy to spot.

Nightlife
For the party vibe you’ll want to stay around the intersection of Chulia and lovers lane. There are dorm hostels and proper boutique hotels.

Tipsy Tiger Party Hostel has the young backpacker crowd playing beer pong and dancing to YMCA. Unfortunately everyone smokes and it’s a young crowd. I felt uncomfortable. It’s only dorms too so good look getting a decent Fuck Fuck on.

Some resto/bars spill onto Chulia Street. Most places are very very small or otherwise awkward to game because of the tables arrangement. I never stayed out past midnight. But most bars are open until 2-3am. The Odeon at the top of Chulia seemed to be the only Club. A bucket of five beers starts at RM100.

Talent
Chinese heavy city. I’ve seen a few foreigners here with attractive local women. Unfortunately, the guys were not attractive so I’m guessing white knight/sugaring scenarios. If you’re ok with backpackers there are plenty of those. Most tap out around a 6 at best.

Tipsy tiger had decent ratios and some cute white girls in groups of 2-3. You’ll be much better off with a wing. I saw a couple Street roaming bachelor groups, ten strong, standing in circles making game plans for the night. The smartest play is probably getting your own hotel room and partying at the Hostel with one or two other guys max.

Around Penang
Driving around the Island was unrewarding. The beaches aren’t nice and the National Park is a joke. I took a boat ride for RM80 to monkey beach. I didn’t even bother getting out walk. There’s a few small waterfalls but not really worth the trip. Supposedly there are stinging jellyfish all around Penang and langkawi so no one swims.

Penang Hill is worth a trip. Avoid the weekend queue. I did the Habitat elevated Walkway at sunset which includes a night walk (RM66). Unfortunately the view was fogged in. Weather has been rainy every night. I thought rainy season was June-July maybe into Aug/Sep but locals said also Nov-Feb is monsoon. More on the East China Sea side but also effects here too I guess?

Komtar Tower is ugly as fuck even at night. It has an observation platform with a nice view. Unfortunately it was rainy. The base has a bunch of tourist trap attractions. Pretty much every bus around the Island starts here.

Alternatives
I can’t really recommend any other atttactions even though I went to all of them. Most of Penang is unremarkable or straight up tourist traps to be avoided. The two Peranakan Mansions in Georgetown are the obvious standouts.

Luckily I had a girl from KL come up in the weekend so I didn’t really have to bother gaming. Tinder is shit here. Don’t even bother. It’s too hot for street game. Malls are spread out far from Georgetown. We drove an hour to checkout the Orangtan Island Sanctuary near Taiping (rainiest place on peninsula). It rained for 20 min so they closed early for the rest of the day. Total bust.

I spent a week in Melaka. Jonker Street has a weekend night Market that is lively. Plenty of hostels and private accommodations around there in Chinatown. The vibe is more chill and more pleasant for strolling. Easier to meet people. Just One main bar everyone kinda converges around in the evening so Essie Troy meet people and do street/cafe pickup.

GTFO
The ferry to Langkawi is 2-3 hours. It much shorter if you Bus to kedah and take it from there. The water can be really rough. Cigs and beer are 40-50% cheaper in Langkawi. Seasonal Ferry from Langkawi to Thai Islands starts in November. I haven’t been yet but I’ll jump the gun and say stick with the Thai Islands unless you have a special reason for wanting to see Malaysia.

Messages In This Thread