rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

StayFocusd: The RVF Addiction Killah!

StayFocusd: The RVF Addiction Killah!

RVF Public Service Announcement

Many of us have come clean about our addictions to the RVF. And, as I've said in the past, if there's a cure for this, I don't want it.

But what happens when your RVF Addiction starts getting in the way of your real social relationships (bangs), your job, your school work, or your fitness? I recently had a member desperately PM me, literally asking me to ban him, for a fixed amount of time, so that he can focus on his work. The other day, I looked down at my clock and realized I'd spent four straight hours on the forum. The rest of my apartment was dark, because the sun had set on my-ass. I looked in the mirror, and my eyes were bloodshot from not blinking enough--like I'd been playing video games.

This place is that good. It's the heroin of the Internet for real men.

Enter StayFocusd.

StayFocusd is a Chrome app that allows you to limit the amount of time you can spend on certain "blocked sites." You set the amount of time you're allowed to spend on certain domains per day, and that's all the time you get until it resets. You determine the reset time, the days the restrictions apply, the total time, and, of course, the sites that you're not allowed to visit.

Unfortunately, the current version only allows you to limit the aggregate amount of time you can spend on all blocked sites, but they claim the next version will allow you to allocate time for individual sites. I only have it set for two places: the RVF and OKCupid. (Hilariously enough, I use OKCupid to procrastinate from the RVF, which often yields material for the Hamster thread, in a vicious, endless cycle.)

In case of emergency, there's an override if you run out of time and want/need more. The override requires you to pass a test of your own choosing. In my case, this is for any moderating issues or juicy forum drama.

[Image: popcorn2.gif]

This doesn't mean you'll need to visit the forum fewer times, post less, or read less, (or should), it means just that you'll be a lot more deliberate about the time you do spend here. The thing I've noticed about this place is how I can idly click refresh for extended, indeterminate amounts of time. Needless to say, it works for any site on which you spent a bit more time than you probably should.

Even as I post this thread, I'm mindful of the ticking clock at the top (which stays hidden until you click on it). I need to have time leftover to check in later! Therein lies its power.

[Image: attachment.jpg7990]   

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Messages In This Thread