rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hunting & Fishing Lifestyle

Hunting & Fishing Lifestyle

Quote: (07-14-2016 01:11 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Quote: (07-13-2016 01:43 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

^hey General Stalin what is Albacore fishing in the Atlantic like? I tried two years ago (Sept 2014) in the Pacific off the northern coast of Vancouver island but got skunked. I used these big ass weighted hoochies trolling shallow, pretty fast troll speed, using regular salmon mooching rod setups. I was like a couple miles offshore which may be too close. I had never tried for them before but earlier that year I was at a dock in Vancouver and a bunch of Japanese dudes in suits were at some guys boat with core drills taking samples of the catch for Sushi restaurants, I asked the boat charter captain what he did and was pretty surprised tuna were there and abundant, catchable even for sport fishers like me.

Honestly most of the time I caught them was by accident using a 12-16 oz silver cod jig. They are big time school fish so you gotta find 'em, but they will get into a feeding frenzy and will eat anything in that event. If trolling you should get a chum line going.

I'm more experienced fishing for bluefin but I'm not sure how similar they are. We would chum and use live bait. Use small pollock, mackerel, or whiting. Stick a tuna hook right through it's back, toss it out, and let it swim lame and injured no weights.

There isn't much of the old school art left in any form of tuna fishing. Its all technology.

The same people that make submarine hunting equipment make fish finders.

I can just cruise around until I see a school and roll slowly through dragging the most basic lure and land an ahi.

The art part of it now is putting the tech stuff to work.

Aloha!

Messages In This Thread