rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bartending

Bartending

Quote: (09-16-2012 12:49 AM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

I got a certificate from my local bar and restaurant school because I thought it would be good for show when I apply for bar jobs overseas. I've also been working in my local bar for the past few weeks to lock down some experience.

Half of the time it's putting glasses through the sterilizers and taking the dead glasses off the tables. Chatting with the customers is cool, and it's not a crazy nightclub so the vibe is pretty relaxed. Most of the time I just pour beers and make a few mixed drinks. Cleaning up afterwards is a bit of a bitch but the crew I work with are really funny so it makes it better.

From what I've heard about US bars is that the starting wage is $2.75 an hour and you make most of your money from tips, and working nights like Monday or Tuesday you hardly make anything. $1 tip per drink? (Can someone give me some more insights to working the US bar scene?)

Basically what you said. Anything from $1 per drink or a % of the bill (15-20% is normal). It's funny having to explain this to people I worked with that weren't familiar with the service industry in the rest of the world, they assumed all foreigners were just cheap (doesn't help that I'm in the south). The wage is less than minimum wage, and you'd be expected to declare your tips at the end of the shift for tax purposes. Obviously dealing in cash makes it a less than exact science.

But on a side note, I quit due to the fact that, since I have a normal job as well, the weekend bartending gig really fucked up my normal sleep and workout cycle for the rest of the week.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Messages In This Thread