rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Private Language Lessons. 4 Hours Per Day For One Month. Anyone Do It?

Private Language Lessons. 4 Hours Per Day For One Month. Anyone Do It?

What I have found works best for me is to learn the basics, then use the language A LOT in the country until I hit my wall. Essentially, push your limited vocabulary and grammar to the limit. Doing so will have 2 huge benefits. First, you will get REALLY good at what you do know. Second, when you hit the wall you will know what areas are most important to study next. Maybe there is some specific vocab you need to add, or maybe you have to work on your tenses.

Once you hit that wall, go home (or to your hotel room) that night and study up on that particular area. The next day make every effort to use your new found knowledge. So if you didn't know the past tense well before, go home and study up that night. The next day, take every opportunity to use the past tense with people. Tell stories, tell what you had for breakfast, talk about what your last trip was like, etc.

I find this method more organic/natural and more efficient. Languages are HUGE collections of vocabulary and grammar rules. The method I use helps me learn the things that I need most, in the order that I need them.

The key to this method is to not get too comfortable with your current level of knowledge and to always find those "walls". It is very easy to get too comfortable with a limited vocabulary and rudimentary understanding of a few tenses. You have to keep pushing yourself to that uncomfortable area where you are tongue tied. That is where the growth is.

Messages In This Thread