rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How did you get your current job?

How did you get your current job?

Quote: (03-22-2017 08:19 AM)Edmund Ironside Wrote:  

I've been working in IT for over 15 years. It was a career change for me, which involved taking some computer science classes but not getting a degree. I got an internship through the school, then was offered a full time position.

Every subsequent position I got in IT was through applying to online job ads. I've never gotten a position where I had any previous contacts at the organization. I've only rarely tried because my specialization leaves me best qualified for very specific positions, and the limited number of suitable openings rarely coincide with the limited number of companies where people I've worked with before also happen to work.

Whether it's a coincidence or not, I've also never gotten a job offer when I dressed formally for the interview. All of my offers came after interviews where I went in business casual (dress pants or khakis and button-down shirt, no tie.) Maybe that just says something about the culture at places where I am a personality fit. IMO, places that are hung up on dress are more likely to have a style over substance culture.

What's the best way to go about doing this? I'm interning for a company now I really like, and want to turn it into a full-time gig. Any advice?

I'm planning on just being forward with them next week, expressing interest, and hope to have something by the time I'm done my program in May.

Messages In This Thread