rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Freelancing for Location Independence

Freelancing for Location Independence

Just wanted to make a quick post for the aspiring online writers out there in case you're still in doubt about the possible rates.

I just released a set of bids on elance for the first time in a looooooooooong time this last week (haven't been actively marketing in a while). A couple bites and then one who has been emailing sent a new message today asking me if I could lower my bid. They offered me $50 per hour instead.

Now, I don't usually take hourly jobs, and I'm really trying to shoot for $100+ per hour these days on all new jobs, but I told them I'd go for it as I'm trying to up my income an additional $1200 per month of steady income flow by mid-Dec. I want to return to Asia without financial worries.

I'm eager to fill my schedule and meet my goal - most of all, I'm eager to get the fuck out of here for a while - so I jumped on it.

I won't lie that it feels like I'm settling a little bit, but then I thought, "f'ing hell I'm beating myself up about 50 bucks an hour here - completely location independent." It's not 100% ideal, but I certainly can't complain either, especially considering the currency differences I'll leverage across the pond. And it's not like it'll be taking up my whole schedule, by any means; I can still land other clients.

Just wanted to report that they're definitely still biting on these sites. The same ones where most people say decent rates are absolutely impossible.... People say they're low-end clients there, and they are for the most part, but there's some money there too. Always a few gold nugs. I find it a fast, easy source of clients since I'm already established, so it's usually my go-to before getting started on sending out unsolicited pitches.

Once again, it's all in the marketing. And of course experience is big too, but you have to start some time.

Cheers

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread