rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Obesity in the US. Like with most things, government is the problem, not the solution

Obesity in the US. Like with most things, government is the problem, not the solution

Quote: (05-08-2012 11:22 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

It's a pretty well-known fact around these parts that I don't subscribe to this neo-conservative anti-government reasoning for everything (including obesity). If anything I think the problem lies with under-funding of health classes at public schools. If dumb-ass kids knew the difference between 18g of fat and 18g of sodium--from youth--it would make a difference. The woefully inadequate condition of health knowledge is absurd. Even my educated-ass doesn't know whether 18g of fat is a lot or not. It's the goddamn metric system!

Another problem is food deserts. If any of you guys have ever been to the hood--and tried to eat there--you quickly discovered that all there is is Burger King and shitty corner markets with canned food. Getting a decent meal is hard, even if you only have a vague idea of what's good for you. Try it out.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame big, bad, vague "government" for everything. Government can be the problem and can be the solution. It really depends on who's running the bitch. Put me in there and see what happens.
It is not just school is the problem it is government subsidizing corn, making unhealthy food way cheaper than healthy food. What is cheaper, an pound of apple or a liter of cola? Not just that, cheap high calorie food is way more accessible than healthy food. How many convenience stores are selling fruits and vegetables? How many convience stores you see opposing to fruit or healthy grocery stores? How many aisles they have for fruits and vegetable opposing to the how many aisles are they for junk food and snacks, creal, etc in a store? The farming and food consumer policy has been too lax, they need make make healthier food more affordable and accessible for the poor.

Messages In This Thread