rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hearing Loss from Flying

Hearing Loss from Flying

I purchase earplugs before almost every flight that I take. I really only need them during takeoff & landing. There's this one brand that most US convenience stores carry that is pretty decent. It's called "Earplanes". I started using them after I realized that the discomfort I experienced during takeoff & landing phases (esp. landing) could be quite uncomfortable. Plus the level of noise in some of these planes is just ridiculous as well. The earplugs don't eliminate the problem completely, but they certainly help a great deal.

Whoops, I just noticed that "basil" praised the exact same product. To put a long story short, I'm on the SAME page as basil.

Quote: (04-04-2012 12:13 PM)IVth_Element Wrote:  

I have been flying for more than 10 years and up until recent, I never had any problems with ear pressure/pain from changes in elevation.

Last week, I was flying to Miami and as soon as the plane started to descend, I began having intense pain in my ears to the point of feeling like they were bleeding. It took 24 hours before my hearing was any better than maybe 50% of usual.

The next day, I flew to Sao Paulo on my way to Rio and the same thing happened again. Ear pressure and hearing loss for almost 2 days.

I had already booked a ticket to Buenos Aires to meet some friends and of course the same thing happened again. It has now been almost 4 days and my hearing is still not back to normal. It is maybe at 80% of usual at this point and feels like they just cannot pop. They feel constantly plugged.

I am considering going to a doctor here although I am pretty convinced that the issue is temporary. I chewed gum on each flight, took decongestants, and currently am taking Loratadina 5mg and Pseudoefefrina sulfato 120 mg from the local farmacia.

Has anyone else dealt with the same situation and found a way to cure or prevent hearing loss/pain/pressure?

Again, I have tried checking gum, decongestants, plugging nose and pushing air, hot tea, hot showers, and q-tips. Is this something that just needs time to resolve itself or am I risking any long term damage by waiting. Would a candle wax treatment possibly help? How can I prevent this from happening again during my two flights home?

Any advice appreciated.

Messages In This Thread