rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Book Club Round 1: The 48 Laws of Power

Book Club Round 1: The 48 Laws of Power

Ok big weekend planned so will throw up some more before heading off to good times for next 48 hours.

Law 2 - Never Put Too Much Trust in Friends, Learn How to Use Enemies

"Lord protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies." - Voltaire

A former enemy can be an asset because he has more to prove than friends who can be quick to betray. Friends can be envious and jealous, spoilt and tyranical. They may not be grateful for the generosity we share. Hire the best person for the job, not a friend. An enemy expects nothing and is grateful for any kindness that comes his way. Friends agree on things to avoid an argument, often those arguments are necessary to find the right solution - an enemy will not hesitate to argue and question your logic, pushing better decision making. While you often know exactly your enemies beliefs, knowing a friends can be impossible. Flattery achieves nothing, criticism leads to perfection.

The example of a young Byzantine ruler Michael III who built up a stable hand who caught his attention one day, giving him wealth, education, position, power, his own mistress for a wife. But it wasn't enough for his friend Basilius, who having climed to leader of the military, stood over his friend as soldiers he commanded stabbed the ruler to death. Basilius was not grateful to Michael III whos friendship had highhandedly brought him from rags to riches. Nobody wants to believe a friend will betray them.

After the fall of the Han Dynasty China's leadership was incredibly unstable - a succession of rulers were toppled by the military who planted tough generals at the helm who would then eventually declare themselves ruler of a new dynasty, killing his fellow generals to ensure no threat to his rule. Eventually though fresh military leaders would come through and topple the old ruler, restarting the cycle.
One general on becoming Emperor invited his fellows to a banquet. All the other generals assumed he was planning to kill them then and there, instead he rewarded them all with large estates far from power and enough money to live out there lives in luxury without being a threat. Over time Sung went on to instead make allies of several adversary. One who had been plotting against Emperor Sung was invited to a banquet, expecting a deadly fate he was instead treated warmly and sent on his way with a gift. On returning home he discovered the gift was an intelligence report informing Sung of his enemies plotting - showing Sung was not vengeful. They became trusted allies, allowing the Sung Dynasty to florish for over 300 years after so much turmoil.

A clear enemy can also be a motivator - bring out the best. After WWII would America and the Soviet Union have forged on with military buildup, technological development, the space race and more if they weren't such bitter enemies? Does Israel flourish because of the threats all around it, it has no time for complacency surrounded by enemies. It's guard is up, constantly hustling, pushing development, pushing business... would that still be the case if it was surrounded by good friends?

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

Messages In This Thread