rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Banker's Tip To Waitress: "Get A Real Job"

Banker's Tip To Waitress: "Get A Real Job"

Quote: (02-28-2012 12:33 PM)johnwu Wrote:  

This anger that people have about not tipping should be directed towards those issues that you have stated, it is extremely negligent on their behalf to take the easy way out, by accusing the customers of moral wrongdoings.

That's the problem I have with the issue.. particularly in California.

It is expected that the customer pay at least 15%. A lot of people do it out of habit. One time I was at a lunch and the waitress completely forgot one of our orders, and didn't do anything to really make up for it when she found out (a while after we had all received our orders) but the person paying the bill still gave her 15%.

The problem is that giving the tip is basically something that just happens, and is expected of you, without much consideration that what you are giving is in fact a tip.

Most people don't look at it as a tip anymore, but as another tax. They don't realize that there is a lot of grayness to tipping. The tipper can tip whatever he wishes, but most people would never want to seem cheap by tipping "too little."

Now that I think about it, that OP waitress was probably servicing other tables as well, so that $20 expected tip was just one of probably 3-4 tables she was working, so she could potentially make up to $75+ an hour if she finds herself at the right restaurant. I know that restaurant that she is working at, and it's right next to a bunch of financial/law firms in Newport Beach. She has the right type of client, so she is most likely working 6 hour shifts and making more than most of her college-graduated friends in a year.

Like I said before, I don't think any server deserves to make more than any professional/educated worker.

Messages In This Thread