rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Preparing to Go Abroad

Preparing to Go Abroad

Quote: (02-12-2012 04:54 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

For computer, I bought a 13" macbook air specifically to take with me. Never been a mac guy, but this laptop was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Slim, light, very fast. The portable market is becoming competitive so you can probably find one of the PC equivalents for a better price, but i've owned over a dozen computers and laptops and the macbook air is clearly the best quality. Pricey though.

Another thing I did in preparation for the trip is pay for the 4-year plan to Crashplan. Now, all my files are backed up securely online and I don't have to worry about losing them when overseas. When I leave on the trip, I'm not going to keep all my files on my laptop -- just music and some photos. All my other documents (tax returns, etc) will stay on Crashplan's servers and my PC (which will be stored at a friend's house). I'll likely add Crashplan to my mac as well so I can back up new photos and files while overseas.

I'm still not sure what to do on the phone front. Was thinking about buying an unlocked smartphone that will work on all network (quad band), but I'm still thinking through the cost. Might go with a more basic phone with no data plan, but still time to figure this one out.

Are you going to work somewhere, or just moving for fun?

+1 for the advice

I'll look into a Macbook. Why not take an iPad? Basically whats the advantage of a laptop over a tablet? I am debating this right now. I am going to check out Crashplan and get my files backed up.

I'll be filing my taxes (online) in 2013 so I am setting up an appointment to see an accountant to understand the impact of moving abroad for a year. You might want to do the same.

Phone: I'm taking my blackberry, besides the quad band capability, I know that the BBM network is pretty strong in Europe. More importantly, I don't want to spend too much money on a new phone. If you are interested in BB, you can always pick up a used model or even something cheap, since they are no longer "in style."

My plan is a little bit of both fun and work. I am still trying to set things up and want to make sure that they will happen before I disclose them to the forum (superstitious that way). I am definitely concerned about the cost of living out in Europe, so I am cutting down my expenses while in the US and also stacking up the savings.

Also, what kind of suitcases are you taking? I want something durable, that will take a beating.

Messages In This Thread