rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is going to school internationally worth it?

Is going to school internationally worth it?

I'm tossing around the idea of going back to school for a masters, and one thing I was thinking about was going to a foreign country (US, UK, Australia) as opposed to here in Canada. Part of it being just to live somewhere different, better weather (at least US/Oz) and just a bit of a novelty factor.

On the other hand, the fees they charge for international students are insane. Australia for masters programs is like $35k/yr. Compared to about $10k in Canada. US and UK somewhere in the middle. Then not to mention visas, US wants SAT/GRE scores, and in addition to costs, generally a higher pain in the ass factor.

I can understand if you're from a third world country to add some (if only perceived) legitimacy to your degree, but has anyone ever gone abroad when they had access to a pretty decent lower priced local school?

I can also see the point if you're going to a Harvard or Oxford, but even then, I forget what book I first read it in, but found a copy of the article:

http://time.com/54342/it-doesnt-matter-w...o-college/

Basically says that those admitted to top tier schools but who chose to go elsewhere, had same earnings after 20 years as those who were accepted and went.

So has anyone ever gone abroad for school when you didn't have to? Was it worth it? Is there really a 50k advantage to studying at University of New South Wales vs University of Alberta?

Messages In This Thread