rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dunking Question

Dunking Question

From the looks of it, I would say that you are not training explosively. When you are training to jump especially when you are trying to dunk, the most important thing is how quickly you can do the weight not necessarily how much you can lift. You also need to mimic being very explosive and the best way to do that is to with plyometrics.

Working on your core and being very flexible is also paramount to increasing your vert. Dynamic flexibility exercises are going to help increase your potential to generate more power and plyo is going to increase your ability to generate more power. My measurements are similar to yours 6'3 200, with my vertical being slightly north of 30-31 inches and I can dunk pretty easily. One guy to read is Tim Grover, who published a book called Jump Attack, that I picked up in high school and basically transformed my vert. He was Michael Jordan's trainer, and has trained other stars like Dwade and Kobe, so he definitely knows what he's talking about. I believe he has a cheap app on the Google and Apple stores also called Jump Attack. Kelly Baggett is another guy with a great program, as well as Alan Stein.

I would recommend structuring your workout like this:
Dynamic Stretching and Foam Rolling
Core work(front and side bridges, and similar exercises)
Plyo(squat jumps, box jumps, etc)
Resistance/weights(DB squats, lunges, front squats, RDLs etc)
Cool down stretching

This would be 3 times a week, and the guys I cited all have programs that go into detail about specific exercises.

Messages In This Thread