rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best cities in Asia to score a decent job and increasing it's own network

Best cities in Asia to score a decent job and increasing it's own network

Hi, great thread!

Being in a similar situation as you (going to graduate with my Bachelors in afew months), I currently have the opportunity to go to Jakarta, Indonesia which I consider to be a very promising business landscape. I am happy to share in-depth insights via PM as further information regarding my job prospect would identify me almost immediately.

It is great that you have already had the opportunity to intern for a longer period of time in SZ and HK. Below, I would like to point out some key findings that I deem to be most relevant when looking for jobs in SEA (+ Far East Asia). Please note that these inputs not necessarily refer to HK and SG, as the job markets within these hubs tend to vary significantly from other areas in Asia. Thus, what I think is:

- If you wan't to score a great job (which surely is possible, hint: look at rising demands for some key industries in SEA), you will have higher probability to do so by being send over by a US-based MNE (are you American?)
- Focus on countries that have had some exposure to Western culture & language making it easier for you to adapt, i.e. Philippines is easier to culturally accommodate to than China
- Research Macroeconomic trends that might further boost the markets. Key insights based on your research enable you to specialize and gain competitive advantage
- Especially in SEA and Far East, networking is key and is widely practiced among different industries and within a variety of hierarchical levels. I strongly advice you to follow up on networking as much as possible.
- If possible, do not go into education as I believe that it's pretty hard to move out of that industry given the negative connotation that some English teachers in Asia have

These were just a few bullets and I'm happy to connect anytime! As I have had the chance to live in Asia, Moscow, the US, South America and some European cities, I think I gained some experience on a multilateral level even though I'm not considerably older than 20. A last advice: If you really aim to pursue a long-term career in SEA or the Far East, I would most definitely encourage you to check out some of the Master's Programms offered by Chinese unis. Especially a degree from Tsinghua, Tongji, PKU or HKUST and CUHK would get you very far. Some friends are currently pursuing a degree within these institutions and it has been amazing what I heard so far regarding job prospects and intellectual stimulus within studies.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread