rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving back to the US

Moving back to the US

I was hoping to get some advice on moving back to the US from Europe.

For some background, I've been here since college graduation (about 7 years now) so the US feels like a foreign country in terms of logistics. Some questions:

- Taxes: I haven't filed any in the US since I moved abroad. I know this is a problem, but will I be jailed or slammed with penalties? I pay significantly higher taxes in Europe than I would in the US, and I have pay stubs and work contracts for when I do decide to file. Best to get a tax advisor as soon as I get back?
- Health Insurance: Is it still possible to get decent insurance through an employer, or do private plans through ObamaCare actually work? When would I be required to have it after moving back?
- Credit: My credit is abysmal in the US but perfect in the EU (Germany, UK). Will it be difficult opening a new US bank account because of this? Mostly just defaulted student loans since I couldn't pay from Europe.

The good news is that I'm eligible to have all my tax contributions in Germany (about €40k in social security) refunded back after 2 years being outside the country.

Any advice on getting set up again back home would be appreciated. This seems like a nightmare when moving between countries in the EU is cake.

Messages In This Thread