rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Can anyone here give a non-SJW influenced review of Marco Polo

Can anyone here give a non-SJW influenced review of Marco Polo

I've watched a few shows recommended here before like Black Mirrors which has become one of my top shows of all-time. Before deciding whether or not to binge 10 hours away on Marco Polo and the "critics" reviews for it were horrible. The current average on Metacritic for critics is 48 while the userscore is nearly twice that coming in at 88. It's also at a 27% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and over 3 times the userscore at 94. The one common theme I noticed in most critic reviews was the SJW word salad. Here's some examples

Quote:Quote:

But among the first key problems sensed upon the initial release of the show's trailer was its apparent embodiment of that tired storytelling trope, the "white-guy-in-Asia adventure." As Phil Yu of Angry Asian Man. Ooh. Lots of swords and gongs and mysticism and opium and sexy Asian ladies on silk sheets and shit. And dude, did I just see a naked person doing some kung fu?
-I'm sure Mr. Angry Asian has a non-biased review

Mic's Zak Cheney-Rice similarly called on Netflix to "do better" in its portrayal of Asian characters, criticizing Marco Polo for leaning on ludicrous Orientalist stereotypes and privileging the white, Western point-of-view. He also noted that Netflix must have "missed the memo," referring to a list released by the Media Action Network for Asian Americans in 2008 on ways good-intentioned media-makers can bust stereotypes.

O.K., the Women Can Kill, but They Have to Be Nude
- The title of the New York Times review

I'm not gonna post all the reviews but the common theme among them is the words
-White privilege
-Diversity and Representation
-Objectification of women and hatred of anything sexual
-Muh soggy knees
-Whining about why women aren't dominant alphas and the unrealistic portrayal of women
-Something complaining about how it isn't Game of Thrones quality even though I'm sure the creators weren't trying to make a Game of Thrones clone

So can anyone here who might have seen the show give an honest review of it. I know that if it makes SJWs this mad then it has to be something worth watching.

Messages In This Thread