rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Who has been lifting weights for over 10 years?

Who has been lifting weights for over 10 years?

I've been lifting for 26 years. (13 years old to 39 years old)

I wasted most of my workouts!

I never gained any muscle! (Until recently!)

I did too much cardio!

I didn't eat enough!

I learned these lessons the hard way.

I was young and uneducated.

Finally, in the past few years, I have learned how to build and shape my body.

Quote: (12-19-2014 08:40 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

1) How does training change as you become more experienced?

It becomes more specialized. More efficient. More specifically designed for your unique body.

Identify the exercises that work best for you. Identify the parts of your body that need special attention. Identify your genetic potential.. What muscles grow? What muscles do not grow? Where does your body store fat? What are your weaknesses? What are your goals? What type of body do you want?

The more you can honestly answer these questions, the better you can design your exercise and diet routine to match your specific strengths and weaknesses.

2) Did you find you could/can still make muscle gains, despite potential decreasing with time, by always working to improve your workouts and nutrition?

Yes.

As my workouts and nutrition have improved, my physique has also improved.

I didn't start to maximize my physique until I was in my late 30's.

how much muscle can you realistically expect to add overtime, given experience?

It depends on your genetics but..

I'll say:

5-15 pounds.

You can realistically expect to add 5-15 pounds of muscle, when you make an effort to do so, well into your late 30s.. After that, I don't have any experience.

What else have you noticed that improves/changes/needs attention overtime?

Sleep, stress, time management, finances, freedom, work schedule, family, flexibility, injury prevention, warm up, rest, enjoyment of workouts, boredom, burnout, proportion, muscle balance, fat removal, overall health, vitality, etc.

A few more details about my experience:

-- In my 20s, I played so much basketball that I could not gain much muscle. I was probably burning more calories than I ate.

Yet, I still lifted weights for an hour, 3-4 times a week.

I didn't get much bigger. I just got really defined, vascular, and a little more dense. My muscles got firm and hard but not large.

-- I am not a big eater. I don't eat when I'm not hungry. I don't force myself to eat. This has limited my muscle growth.

Recently, I have learned which foods are best for building muscle, for me specifically. Foods that I enjoy eating, that I can prepare easily, that fit into my lifestyle.

I learned to cook a variety of meats.

I learned to use a slow cooker. This directly led to greater muscle growth.

I have purchased a set of glass containers with removable lids. These allow me to carry around healthy, protein rich food.

I have also learned how to stimulate my appetite.

Messages In This Thread