rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is College really worth it?

Is College really worth it?

I partly disagree with the people that say major in STEM.

S=Science. Majoring a "science" other than computer science really only prepares you for graduate school or to work in a lab as a research assistant. It doesn't sound like you want to go to graduate school since you say you don't want a PhD. Research assistant is cool if you really like being in a lab all day and taking orders from someone who went to more school than you did.

T=technology. By all means, major in computer science, software engineering, etc. You'll gain a useful skill in coding, and by majoring in computer science, you will surround yourself with other people that are trying to code, so you can learn from them. However, it isn't really necessary to major in computer science to learn how to code. There are lots of resources on the web.

E=engineering. You're only immediately employable after college if you get an ABET degree; otherwise, you're looking at engineering grad school. Definitely worth it if you do ABET.

M=Math. Don't know much about the prospects for a Bachelor's in Mathematics.

Many people recommend majoring in hardcore sciences in order to get the most out of your education, but I contend that you are much better off developing a skill that you can market in the future. Instead of thinking about "what do I want to major in" the really important question to ask in college is "What do I want to accomplish, and what skills should I develop to help me accomplish that goal?" Our college years are a great time for searching for the answers to those questions.

I value college because it is just too easy to meet new people here. It's so easy to explore a new field and industry. If you don't like it, start all over again. So if you're in college and you're not paying for it, stay there and make the most of it. Like others before me have said, build relationships with a diverse group of people and always keep exploring. You might just stumble upon what you are passionate about.

Edit: Oh yeah, someone else said you need a degree to go into finance. That's true, and I'd say that is another good reason to go to college. That being said, all the major banking firms do not favor people of any particular major. You'd be better off majoring in something easy, getting a nice GPA, and just killing the interviews. Same thing with consulting; they don't really care about your major.

Messages In This Thread