rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Staying Marketable as an Entrepreneur ( Finance edition)

Staying Marketable as an Entrepreneur ( Finance edition)

Quote: (12-11-2014 12:44 AM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (12-11-2014 12:35 AM)TheThinker Wrote:  

I was honest in saying that most of my pursuits have been entreprenuerial since college (10 years ago) but that I've built some models personally and I'm good with numbers and my degree is in corporate finance.

Exactly my point. Saying it like that sounds like you're good at modeling. If someone tells me, "I've built models personally and received a degree in finance," I think to myself "wow he must really know what he's doing then" but then if the examples he provides aren't up to part, there's a big disconnect & disappointment.

The disappointment, I believe, or what I felt in terms of being on the phone with him, was when I stated bluntly that while I do have a degree in corporate finance that I have worked for myself for almost 10 years and have only built a few models personally, never for anyone professionally. That's when he sounded a little disappointed and said I'm mostly an entrepreneur which is correct. I believe the example I provided was on par with what I told him and obviously not the best he could get in hiring someone with that kind of background. Again, I don't believe he felt misled, just not impressed with my work experiene possibly. Not interested in debating this over and over; I get your point but don't agree that it's the case.

Just to be clear, it wasn't a shaby mess. It was a commission matrix using variable costs that included capital budgeting, NPV, and IRR.

Messages In This Thread