rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Millennials

Millennials

Quote: (12-02-2014 12:32 AM)Vronsky Wrote:  

I've noticed this as well and it's been a topic of conversation among my friends, several of whom are in positions where they're responsible for hiring, teaching or managing Millenials. The helicopter parenting is real.

- You'll have parents attend job interviews with their kids and sit in the reception area (at least wait in the fucking car!) and make the follow up call themselves!
- One professor friend of mine has parents call her personally to dispute their precious child's grades (in UNIVERSITY!)
- Another one is in the Student Services department for a top business school and has parents want to sit with their kids during the interview portion of admissions!
- Another is in senior mgmt and is sick and tired of the continual validation/praise the Millenials seek. They are used to getting praised all the time ("I need feedback") and when he gives some sort of constructive criticism, couched in the blandest language he can think of, the butt-hurtness starts.

The thing we all noticed is that there have always been parents who want to be super-involved in their kids lives...what struck as odd is these kids WANT their parents to be enmeshed in every aspect of their lives.

In addition to shared characteristics among both Millenial males and females, several acquaintances have noticed distinct maladjusted social behaviour among Millenial males that have now pre-disposed them to hiring females over the males. They found in their general estimation that the guys lack responsibility, are very sensitive, don't take direction well, and so many are socially inept (lack of eye contact is a big one). We've also noticed that it is next to impossible to guess as to who is straight and who is gay as so many Millenial straight men have that "gay" or "valley-girl" voice-inflection and pitch.

I do feel sorry for the Millenial generation as kids don't raise themselves and the fault for their inability to function lies squarely on their parent's laps. They're also the first generation who will be poorer than their parents and the first generation where the trappings of middle class success (career stability, home ownership, retirement benefits) will elude them due to the mismanagement of the generations above them.

Yes, I've seen all of these as well. That, and talking to them, they had no urge to learn to drive and get a car immediately when it was legal. Everyone I grew up with had the same desire, but a shockingly high percentage of those that I've talked to just said "meh, I can take the bus or get a friend/mom/whoever to drive"! That blows my mind, the freedom of having my own vehicle was huge to me.

Messages In This Thread