rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

American rejected for job in Korea because of being black

American rejected for job in Korea because of being black

Quote:Quote:

“In Korea, a club can publicly say, ‘no foreigners’ and it is socially accepted. Like I said, there has to be help from native Koreans to change this practice.”
Sounds like he got face-controlled to me. Happens to most people, nothing to bitch about. His butt-hurt tone is cringeworthy.

“This was a clear violation of the National Human Rights Commission Act which stipulates that people should not be discriminated based on their race or gender,” an official said.
“The problem is that there is no law to protect people against discrimination. Not just racism but sexist and discrimination against older people,” Sean argued.

See how they are trying to play the sexist card again? We have a black guy not getting a job because of his skin color and he and the reporter think this is very relevant to gender discrimination. Segregation = wage gap. Yeah sure.

“Our students are as young as 4 years old and they even find it difficult to interact with Korean adults,” she said.
She, however, offered an apology to Sean, saying she should have given a chance to meet him for the interview and make a decision based on job applicants’ characters and qualifications, rather than based on their skin colors.
Sounds reasonable. Here is the reaction of our butt-hurt applicant:

Nevertheless, Sean pointed out the academy should be held responsible for racism.
“Even though they are adjusting to what parents want, they are responsible for giving the students a true view of what western culture is truly like,” he said.
“Also though it’s not the recruiter’s fault directly but they assist in the racism when they help the schools to only find white/females. If I were a recruiter I would refuse to work/help any school that practice discrimination.”

And of course, our amazing interview should end with an amazing message:

Encephalitis is not a contagious disease and Sean has fully recovered from it.
If you have an English teaching job to offer Sean, you can contact him at [email protected]. Sean majored in Spanish and has taught English in Korea for over 2 years. He has a TEFL certification of 120 hours.
If you are a recruiter and want to advertise new job openings from open-minded hakwons or schools, you may post your ads on koreaobserver.com/jobs.

Here is my personal opinion. What the company did was not right of course, but you have to understand that Korea is one weird country and there is nothing to be done if the parents just don't want their children to be taught by a black guy. The children might even fear him for all I know. The society is extremely introverted, so it's not the recruiter's fault. If you are a black guy and go to a country like Korea to teach English, well guess what dummy, buckle up for some plain racism. Don't go around demand that the society should change overnight and adopt anti-discrimination regulations everywhere. How self-entitled is this? Be a fucking man, don't be a bitch. I go visit Germany and people treat me like a scum because they think I'm just another poor uneducated Turkish immigrant. I won't be allowed in clubs unless I dress up, whereas Germans can enter with t-shirt and shorts. Should I go around giving interviews to newspapers about how racist Germans are? No. I understand the facts of the world I live in, suck it up and move on.

As for the teaching position, in most schools around the world that teach English in exchange for money, native speakers are priority when it comes to recruit or they are exclusively hired. In Istanbul where I live, no matter how many years you've been speaking English and how flawless your accent is, if you are a candidate from, say Ukraine, you are less valuable than any Canadian or American applicant. Is this racism? I'm guessing in a few years it will be established that this is racism. That's where we're headed. If for now it's socially acceptable to hire only native speakers because of their accent and cultural background, why is it not acceptable to hire exclusively white native speakers? Their accent differs a lot. The parents might not want their children to speak with an ebony accent. In that case I don't find anything wrong with it. But if it's only because of skin color, I find it unacceptable, but like I said, it's Korea and nothing unexpected.

Messages In This Thread