rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Making the Shift from Strength Training to Physique Training

Making the Shift from Strength Training to Physique Training

Quote: (11-14-2014 06:55 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

Starting Strength has poisoned newbie's mind so much that you all think strength equals lifting "heavy" (lol, SS isn't heavy) and eating like a fat fuck. Nobody doing serious powerlifting trains SS, because you get slow, weak and fat.

Sure, mass helps in gaining strength, but strength is ultimately a skill and mostly neuro-muscular in nature. Have you seen top weightlifters and powerlifters in regular weight classes and not the super heavies? They are ripped as hell.

Pictures here: guys not doing Slowing Strength by a fat Texan, ripped as fuck and lifting a ton of weights

[Image: 859835_577024942352334_10881976_o.jpg]

Lu Xiaojun (170lb weight class) with a 260kg / 575lb paused high bar squat

[Image: 79dc7b_4e7c1adb4f0b49059a41a8252805b491....%80%8B_srz]

Josh Hancott (163lb weight class) with a word junior record 271kg / 597lb deadlift

I find this post refreshing. Stronglifts was grueling on my legs but I constantly felt that the rest of my body was lagging behind, even doing the support exercises. Another thing I noticed is that I really wasn't looking any better even though my lifts were increasing. In fact I was eating so much I was getting a little man-boobish.

Since stopping Stronglifts, I've kept squats in my routine but don't do them every lift day. I still do big compound lifts (bench, pull-ups, pushups, etc) but also add in some isolation (triceps pushdowns, hammer curls) and my arms have been steadily growing. I also have been eating paleo/primal with heavy carbs on lift days, but just eating when I'm hungry (not stuffing myself). Doing all of these things has resulted in looking the best I have since prior to start Stronglifts.

Not saying Stronglifts isn't effective to achieve certain goals, but I think a mix of compound and isolation exercises are really what most guys need to gain some size.

Messages In This Thread