rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fret Learns Russian

Fret Learns Russian

Quote: (10-07-2014 12:31 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Ok new question, but this one is more like three questions in one:

- I know смотреть is the infinitive form of the verb "to look". And I know "Посмотри!" is like saying "look!", so it is somehow related to the verb and you can clearly see it in both words. However, what does the по part means? (Посмотри). Is it some form that indicates Imperative?

- How does Посмотри differ from Смотри? (in usage)

- The conjugation of смотреть for 2nd person is смотришь and I cannot find any conjugation that matches Смотри, so where does this word falls into?

You puzzled me, the native speaker, with this question, lol.

The difference is tricky (if any) and probably a few examples will help.

'Смотри' is literally 'look' but it comes from 'смотреть'. 'Посмотри' also comes from 'посмотреть'.

I would argue that 'смотреть' is not about a complete action of looking or watching and 'посмотреть' is kinda like about the action of watching or looking that is complete.

Examples:

Пойду посмотрю кино. I am going to watch a move.
Пойду смотреть кино. I am going to watch a move.

The same translation and I have no freaking idea how to tell the difference in English. The matter of fact is, you will be understood in Russian either way and no one will give fuck.

Посмотри в окно, там красиво. Look out of the windows, there's a nice view.
Смотри, там парочка целуется. Look over there. There's a couple kissing.

Смотри мне в глаза. "Look me in the eyes" that sounds very authoritarian, even rude. You won't say it to a chick unless it's "look me in the eyes, bitch'.

Посмотри мне в глаза. "Look me in the eyes" that sounds neutral or even seductive depending on the tone of voice.

The conjugation that matches Смотри is ... drum roll ... смотришь. It's another form of the same word.

Messages In This Thread