rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Asian Women and Lying in the Context of Long-term Relationships

Asian Women and Lying in the Context of Long-term Relationships

Quote: (08-20-2014 03:13 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

I gave out 2,000 in hongbao at mom in law's advice, and we got back 4,500 or so in (profit) the rest covered expenses.

The hongbao tradition is amusing because most of the time money just gets shuffled around and that's it. The big time face move is to always give and never receive though. It shows petty cash doesn't mean anything to you and it's a big generosity move that implies higher social position. I politely refuse hongbao and I always buy dinners for family and close Chinese friends.

Chinese people tend to notice who pays for the meal and who profits off of who even if they insist on always picking up the tab. It's a jew-like level of bean counting. They won't bring it up but they will often talk about it behind your back. Especially, if you do too many things to come out ahead (in a monetary sense) with family and friends. You really don't want them to think you are pulling slick moves or get a reputation for being "shao chi" (stingy.)

Btw, I don't do any of the above with SEA people (unless they are ethnic chinese) because they will shamelessly soak you.

Messages In This Thread